tkinter urgent help request

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at
Tue Jun 24 18:53:52 CEST 2003

Martin Franklin wrote:
> You just tried to pack the scrollbar inside a Canvas widget.  The
> scrollbar needs to be in the
> root widget I would think :-)
>    scroll = Scrollbar(root)
>    scroll.pack(side=RIGHT,expand=1,fill=BOTH)

Well spotted Martin: I didn't see this one...

The funniest thing is that it actually works (well, at least using a canvas
window instead of packing):

from Tkinter import *

root = Tk()

cnv = Canvas(root, width=400, height=400)

scroll = Scrollbar(cnv, command=cnv.xview, orient=HORIZONTAL)
cnv.create_window(200, 400, anchor=S, window=scroll, width=400)
cnv.configure(xscrollcommand=scroll.set, scrollregion=(0, 0, 1000, 1000))

One of the most useless script I ever wrote... Sorry: it's a bit late here...
- Eric Brunel <eric.brunel at> -
PragmaDev : Real Time Software Development Tools -