[General lang] how to call a parent

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jun 15 18:38:26 CEST 2003

In article <F%0Ha.261$WW3.30765151 at newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
John Fabiani  <jfabiani at yolo.com> wrote:
>I'm a newbie to the Python world but not programming.  In the Visual
>Foxpro world we have the concept of ?parent?.  I normally use it to
>set properties of a custom control as in ?parent.background.color =
>blue?.  The parent in this case is a container.  In the VFP world we
>have ?thisform, this, and parent? and all class methods are run unless
>overwritten by the child class.  Anyway, I'd know how to call the
>parent of an object.  BTW if I'm all wrong with this idea would someone
>explain why!

It's not that you're all wrong as that what you're describing is a
special form of object protocol that primarily applies in GUI design.
You can certainly perform this kind of operation in Python, but unless
you're using a framework, it's not automatic.  Before I (or other
people) give you specific advice about the best way to implement this,
it'd be good if you gave us more information about what you're trying to

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra