Defensive programming

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at
Sun Jun 1 22:18:22 CEST 2003

Paul Rubin <> wrote previously:
|I think there's something to be said for using collision resistant
|hashes whenever any kind of hash is needed.  Why fall back on the OS
|to get you out of trouble, when you can avoid getting in trouble in
|the first place?  I haven't read the papers yet though.

Well... for Python, I'd rather have a hash with excellent typical case
performance than one than a typically slower one with more collision
resistance.  If my normal, non-DoS programs run a bit faster, that's
something I experience every day... if those (very) few of them that
have conceivable DoS exposure do badly under attack... well, that's bad,
but probably best addressed otherwise.

Yours, Lulu...

Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food from the bellies
of the hungry; books from the hands of the uneducated; technology from the
underdeveloped; and putting advocates of freedom in prisons.  Intellectual
property is to the 21st century what the slave trade was to the 16th.