how to create module documentation: gendoc? pythondoc? other?

Jeff McCarrell jwm at emptech.com
Tue Jun 3 01:18:01 EDT 2003

Hi.  The python faq says to use Daniel's gendoc utility to create
module documentation from doc strings.

Daniel's site (http://starship.python.net/crew/danilo/) says
gendoc is no longer being developed and to use pythondoc instead.

When I run pythondoc on itself (using 2.2.2), I get deprecation
warnings
about regex and regsub (annoying, but not fatal),
and a fatal error:

gobi-> python pdoc.py -f HTML4 -i -d /tmp/html pythondoc
  (deprecations elided)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pdoc.py", line 2, in ?
    import pythondoc.pythondoc
  File "pythondoc.py", line 66, in ?
    import docobjects, formatters, xref, options, stdmarkup, message,
version
  File "xref\__init__.py", line 1, in ?
    import xref
  File "xref\xref.py", line 28
    exec "import %s" % py_module
SyntaxError: unqualified exec is not allowed in function 'main' it
contains a nested function with free variables

What is the preferred method to autogenerate module documentation
these days?

-- jeff