Saving Files Under Windows

Andrew Clover and-google at
Fri Jun 13 15:10:45 CEST 2003

achrist at wrote:

> Are there new rules under Windows 2000 or XP that restrict in which folders
> users can or should be saving their data?

They're not entirely new; paths like this have been configurable back to
Win9X, and are in any case likely to be different on different language

> Do the python libs or the python win32api give me any function
> that I can call to find out where I should be creating output files
> for users?

Don't know of anything Python-specific, but you can use the winreg module:

to read the contents of the registry, eg. key:

  \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Andrew Clover
mailto:and at