Python Cannot be Killed

Tim Rowe tim at remove_if_not_spam.digitig.cix.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 18:34:29 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:13:25 -0400, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:

>Every few months, someone asks for tips on convincing 'management'
>that Python is as safe a business bet as closed-source, proprietary
>products.  Here's a point that is sometimes overlooked: unlike the
>latter,
>
>Python cannot be killed.

If Python were perceived as a threat to Microsoft I would expect them
to produce a "Visual Python" with a snazzy interface, some fairly neat
proprietary web tools and subtle incompatibilities with the
GPL-compatible one we know and love, and integrated with MSIE.
Unfortunately Sun is struggling to stop them doing this with Java, and
the Python community would, AFAICS, have real trouble finding the
money to mount an effective opposition.

I think a false sense of security can be very dangerous.