Looking for the greatest negative float value

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Jun 11 18:10:02 EDT 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:

>"Mike C. Fletcher" wrote:
>

>>Uh, that's a really-really small number that's vanishingly larger than
>>0.0, negative exponents make fractions, not large negative numbers...
>>

>Well, the original poster _did_ ask for the "greatest negative float
>value."  That would be -epsilon.

Obviously I just do too much 3-D work, somehow when I see "greatest" I
interpret it as "largest magnitude" (as in a vector), rather than
"compares as > all others".  In my defense ;) , the original poster was
giving the example of:

    -sys.maxint-1

as the analog of the number they were seeking in integers, instead of -1
:) .

Have fun,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher