ANNOUNCE: JOTWeb 1.11, preview of new web application system.

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Tue Jun 24 00:41:59 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Sean" == Sean Reifschneider <jafo-pythonlist at tummy.com> writes:

Sean> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:20:35AM +1000, Dave Cole wrote:
>> OK.  I think I have been arguing the wrong issue :-)

Sean> Yeah, I think that may be the case...  :-) It does really boil
Sean> down to a subjective issue, I don't like always having to have
Sean> the python code that calls into the template.

I have no problem with that.  For some applications that is a more
natural approach.

Sean> I would like to suggest that you include an example earlier on
Sean> about making the global name-space available and an example of
Sean> the abbreviated calling mechanisms.  It was clear from my half
Sean> hour of reading the docs that I could get by with anything less
Sean> than a dozen lines of code...

The documentation is never as good as it should be.

Sean> Most of it is that I'm working from an understanding of
Sean> Albatross which is much shallower than yours.  The examples in
Sean> the documentation are rather unlike the shorter examples you've
Sean> provided here.

The sample applications could certainly be improved.

Sean> One thing that I do like in JOTWeb is the cascading of modules
Sean> and HTML templates.  I set up a "templates.html" page in the
Sean> top-level directory, and sub-directories can reference the
Sean> templates within it, ditto for code or variables, etc...

JOTWeb makes me think of server-side includes that are useful and
extensible.  So useful that you can actually build an application with
them.

Sean> It seems likely that I could do something similar with
Sean> Albatross, now that we've had this discussion, as I said in a
Sean> previous message.

Probably could.

Sean> I'm half tempted to either incorporate the ability to do this
Sean> with Albatross in addition to SimpleTAL into JOTWeb, or look at
Sean> switching over to Albatross...

SimpleTAL in Albatross would be a cool thing.  Pluggable templating is
not really supported in Albatross.  I suspect that you could get
something going fairly quickly though.

Sean> However, I really want to be building sites right now.  <sigh>

Real work - how boring :-)

Sean> I had looked at the mixin reference quickly when I first looked
Sean> at the docs, but I couldn't really understand how they were of
Sean> use...  Examples in this section of the document would be
Sean> extremely useful to new Albatross users.

Documentation is not as good as it could/should be in quite a few
places.

Albatross is intended to be a little bit more than just a toolkit for
building applications.  In a sense it is also a toolkit construction
kit.  The documentation does not really stress the toolkit
construction part though.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au