Saving Files Under Windows -- Py2Exe and Installer

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Jun 20 14:28:49 EDT 2003

achrist at easystreet.com writes:

> OK. Here's the next level conundum of this maze of what goes where
> and who can do what under Windows.  If I distribute an app as a
> one file distro using py2exe or the McMillan installer, when it runs
> IIRC it wants to explode itself back into multiple pieces that are
> deleted at the end of the run.  I'm guessing that this means that
> the user must have privileges to create files in the program's
> directory.  Is that so?

py2exe doesn't have a one file option. Always you have at least two
files (but possibly more), your exe and the pythonxx.dll. py2exe never
creates files by itself.

I don't know too much about installer, but IMO it explodes its files in
the temp directory, otherwise the onefile executable wouldn't be able to
run from CD rom.

Thomas