File reading using delimiters

Ben S bens at replytothegroupplease.com
Mon Jun 9 15:30:36 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Without more
> information about the nature of the files and the type of scanning, I
> can't help more.
>
> -Peter

In this case, I'm reading plain ASCII text files ranging in size from
10K to maybe 1Mb, where strings are delimited with the tilde character.
But I'm asking as much about the available functionality as I am about
my particular problem. I suppose I could use read() then split() and see
how the performance works out. I'm surprised if there's nothing that
lets me read more selectively from the file though.

--
Ben Sizer
http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/kylotan