Encrypting much data with AES and M2Crypto

Jason Smith jason_nospam at oes.co.th
Sun Jun 1 00:14:16 EDT 2003

Heiko Wundram wrote:
> Use PyCrypto. PyCrypto contains "bare" support for several Cipher
> algorithms, including AES, and these are all implemented as stream objects

Thanks for the pointer.  I played with PyCrypto before, and I think I
remember that it was easy.  For some reason, I was under the impression
that M2Crypto was the next thing that Python was migrating toward.  I'm
glad to see more alternatives.

> Remember
> that AES has a fixed block size (8 bytes), so your input must be a
> multiple of this, so it might actually be more clever to use a true stream

I plan on using the simple technique described in Applied Cryptography,
which I explained in the first post.

One question, though.  AES has block sizes of 128, 192, and 256 bits.  I
don't see anything about 64-bit block sizes.  I'm getting this information
from here: http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~rijmen/rijndael/

Thanks again for the advice.

--
Jason Smith