Curses-based replacement for Dataflex (was: hi)

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Fri Jun 13 20:20:56 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 21:11, Attila Szabo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a complete programming interface with curses support
> mainly for using with postgres.
> It has integrated list writer, simple file manager, simple file viewer,
> printer support, printer filters, database routines, search functions, etc...
> Also has message sending functions over the net to other database users,
> thread support, etc...
> The curses interface is completely a new-wave design i think
> (or at least i hope) it is unique.
>
> We replaced dataflex with it.
> I'd like to know if there is some interest toward the interface.

If you intend to release this framework under a free, open source
license, then yes, this sounds interesting - there is utility yet in
terminal-mode applications, particularly in Two-Thirds World nations
where 386 or 486 machines make excellent terminals when hooked up via
(dirt-cheap) Ethernet to a more modern US$500 Linux server (including
CD-R as backup medium) - this approach makes a 10 or 20 workstation
network for use in, say, an NGO feasible for just a few thousand dollars
(excluding the cost of developing custom applications which your
framework is designed to address).

Can you provide more details on a Web site, including screenshots?

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0