random picks from a list

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Thu Jun 12 18:19:15 EDT 2003

Rogue9 wrote:
> I´m working on a program for lottery analysing and need to generate
> random numbers from a filtered list of numbers i.e. I have reduced the
> likely ¨winning¨ numbers to a smaller pool and have them in a list. How
> do i use the random funtion in Python to pick random numbers from this
> list?Is this the use of the seq argument in the random function?
> The documentation does not cover the use of all the arguments available
> for this function and my attempts to use if have been a failure.

Just two more cents here:
As of Python 2.3, you can do random.sample(seq, k):

 40 >>> seq
'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
 41 >>> random.sample(seq, 10)

yours,
Gerrit.

--
175. If a State slave or the slave of a freed man marry the daughter of
a free man, and children are born, the master of the slave shall have no