XML

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Jun 24 05:51:39 EDT 2003

On 24 Jun 2003, Paul Boddie wrote:

> Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> wrote in message news:<mailman.1056387220.30017.python-list at python.org>...
> > In case of XML I will need something like
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> >
> > - not a big deal, but it's harder to parse. And also XML software keeps
> > changing (or so it seems), and this gives a sense of instability.
>
> How hard is it to call a parse function on some XML module? (Bearing
> in mind that your example isn't a well-formed XML document since it

Oh... Then it is even worse:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

> doesn't have a single root element, even though I do like using "zoo"
> elements in examples myself. :-) )

Is there any standard on examplar ennumeration?
We all know foo and bar, but which are officially next?
;-)

> > XML always gives me a feeling that I do not fully master it (especially it's
> > DTD part)! And this is after two years of trying to understand it. (Cf: with
> > Python felt at home after a week or two!)
>
> It can often be a question of ambition, since I can imagine that many
> people don't really use DTDs or XML Schemas to get their work done. In
> any case, it isn't clear what the corresponding technology to DTD is
> in the Python environment - optional, but not yet invented, static
> type annotations?

Probably Grammar file.

> > P.S. Just look at the neighboor thread:
> > Subject: minidom toxml() not emitting attribute namespace qualifier

> It may be the case that you don't see a need for XML in your work. In
> my opinion it's completely acceptable to not use XML if you find it
> completely irrelevant, unfathomable or opaque, but I respect your
> desire to become aware of what the technology can offer.
>I'm reminded
> of the occasional article written by people who ask others to
> "convince me why I should run Linux" - the only useful response is
> that if one can't see a need to try it without writing a public
> document asking others to persuade them, then they probably shouldn't
> be spending too much time worrying about it.

Hmmm. Interesting. But I really wanted to know people opinion pro et
contra.

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd at onego.ru -