64 bit python

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jun 5 01:09:32 EDT 2003

"E. McKay Hyde" <hyde at math.umn.edu> writes:

> So, it appears that either LONG_BIT is defined incorrectly,
> SIZEOF_LONG is defined incorrectly or LONG_BIT is not supposed to
> equal 8 * SIZEOF_LONG in the 64-bit case.  Do you know which it is?

I would be very much surprised if LONG_BIT doesn't equal
8*SIZEOF_LONG; this would suggest that your machine does not have
8-bit words, which I doubt.

So either LONG_BIT or SIZEOF_LONG is incorrect. Can you tell the
values for either #define?

Notice that this problem is not generic for 64-bit systems, as there
are actual 64-bit systems which do get their defines right (e.g. Sparc
Solaris 64-bit, or Tru64). So it would be more a problem specific to
your system, or your configuration. For example, which compiler did
you use during configure?

Regards,
Martin