You know you're a Pythonista when..

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Jun 14 09:11:43 EDT 2003

"Edward K. Ream" <edreamleo at charter.net> writes:
[...]
> 2. I create "instant unittests" by copying Python code from copy of Leo to
> another.  I can execute those instant unittests from within Leo itself.
> These instant unittests are an effortless way of testing code that hardly
> ever gets executed, like error dialogs.
>
> 3. I hardly ever leave the main copy of Leo while developing Leo.
> "Recompiling" Leo means reloading a separate test outline (containing the
> instant unittests).  The test copy of Leo effortlessly accumulates all the
> official-unittests-to-be.

I don't understand.  Could you elaborate?  For example, could you
clarify whether you mean 'Leo source' or 'running Leo process' when
you say 'Leo'?  Do you mean you work like one does with doctest: copy
stuff from an interactive shell, and have them become permanent tests?

> This change in workflow has approximately tripled my productivity.  No
> kidding.  For example, I can correct syntax errors immediately in the main
> copy of Leo:
>
> a) I am already in the correct spot and
> b) the main copy of Leo is still running and so is unaffected by the botch.
[...]

I'm still completely lost, but eager to discover more about anything
that triples productivity!

John