How to test if a variable has a natural number?

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Wed Jun 11 19:46:26 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:53:24PM +0000, Jack Daniel wrote:
> Martin P<martin_p at despammed.com> wrote:
>

> > how can I find out if the number of a variable
> > is a natural number or not?
> >

> I'll asume that by "find out if the number of a variable
> is a natural number or not" you are asking how to determine whether the
> number a varible is set to is a Natural Number (ie in the set of  whole
> positive numbers; a positive integer).
>
> If this is the case here we go:
>
> def natural(x):
>         if x >= 1 & x % 1 == 0:

  The preferred way to spell this is with "and", not "&".  The semantics are
slightly different, and the operation you're really looking for is boolean
and, not bitwise and.

>                 print "Varible is set to a NATURAL"
>         else:
>                 print "Varible is NOT set to a natural"
>
> run this lil snippet with the name of your varible as arg x

  resisting-the-urge-to-point-out-english-mispellings'ly y'rs,

  Jp

--
A disciple of another sect once came to Drescher as he was eating his
morning meal. "I would like to give you this personality test," said the