better way than: myPage += 'more html' , ...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jun 26 11:02:53 EDT 2003

Adrien Di Mascio wrote:

> I've a made a quite basic test on these methods :
>
>  /snip/
>
>     def write_thousands_join(self, char):
>         """Writes a 100000 times 'char' in a list and joins it
>         """
>         str_list = []
>         for index in range(100000):
>             str_list.append(char)
>
>         return ''.join(str_list)

no time to repeat your tests, but

     def write_thousands_join(self, char):
         """Writes a 100000 times 'char' in a list and joins it
         """
         str_list = []
         append = str_list.append # bind method to local variable
         for index in range(100000):
             append(char)

         return ''.join(str_list)

"should" be slightly faster.

also note that the results "may" differ somewhat if you append strings
of different lengths (mostly due to different overallocation strategies;
or maybe they're not different anymore; cannot remember...)

I always use join, but that's probably because that method is more likely
to run code that I once wrote.  Never trust code written by a man who
uses defines to create his own C syntax ;-)

</F>