Rudeness with names (was Re: interpreted)

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Jun 10 07:22:15 EDT 2003

Aahz wrote:
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
>>Ifman1 wrote:
>>
>>>what do you mean "anonymous coward"???
>>
>>Somebody not using their real name on usenet and using a pseudonym like
>>"Ifman1" instead. I call these people "anonymous cowards" :-)^
>>
>>In some cases it's their intention to use these pseudonyms, in some
>>cases they just haven't set up their mail client properly. In any case,
>>I give them a nudge this way.
>
> Well, I wasn't paying much attention earlier, but I have to say that I
> consider this rather rude.  How the heck do you know what someone's
> "real name" is?

I can't know. But then there are cases where someone just was careless
when configuring his/her mail/news client. That's why I give them a
nudge in case they weren't aware of it. If they *are* aware of it, they
can ignore it :)

I too feel offended by:

- anonymous posters
- top-posting
- broken quoting

In one word: carelessness.

Occasionally I will make originators aware of this. If you can't live
with this, feel free to killfile me.

> I say this as someone who received more than my fair
> share of such rudeness.

Ditto for me and the above rudenesses.

There's probably little point in continuing this discussion on
python-list, though IMO. Reply-To set.

-- Gerhard