shebang strange thing...

Van Gale news at exultants.org
Sun Jun 29 07:05:44 EDT 2003

Ben Finney wrote:
> I maintain that the CR and LF were needlessly preserved as separate
> operations, with no benefit.

I disagree.  IIRC there were plenty of printers where the carriage
return operation took a disproportionately long time, so therefore
backspacing was the prefered method for overstriking, but at the same
time that meant line feeds were a big performance win for smart
applications.

I still have some saved "graphics" output from my NEC Spinwriter
generated by printing a dot "." combined with micro-linefeeds.  Ah, the
joys of doing "screenshots" of UCSD Pascal turtlegraphics on an Apple
II... hmmm, think I'm dating myself?

Van