Is python good for making database work short?

Steve stevesusenet at
Thu Jun 19 17:31:38 CEST 2003

Gerhard Häring <gh at> wrote in message news:<mailman.1055986954.17173.python-list at>...
> Steve wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > Today at work I got an impressive demonstration.
> >
> > There was a database mess that had to be cleaned up fast.
> > [...]
> > A coworker who is a foxpro nut did all of this in about 3 lines of
> > code.
> This is either an exaggeration or the problem wasn't really that complex.

No exaggeration. The foxpro code to fetch a copy from another
database/server was only 3 lines of code.  It would have been easily
between 1 and  2 dozen lines of code in java/jdbc.  I never wrote that
the entire fix was only 3 lines in foxpro, just the part about copying
the table into the database.

> Yes. You can write fairly short database code with the Python DB-API,
> compared to all other languages I know (for database stuff, I've used
> VB6, C# and Java, and Python of course).

Cool.  This in my ideal opinion, someone who has used other languages
for similar tasks.