long-term release schedule?

Yan Weng yweng at cs.uoregon.edu
Thu Jun 12 21:01:48 EDT 2003

"Ray Smith" <ray at rays-web.com> wrote in message
news:5654fff9.0306121555.4c214e92 at posting.google.com...
> "Yan Weng" <yweng at cs.uoregon.edu> wrote in message news:<bc9is2$fr0
> Your first 2 points indicate speed as an issue.  For a large percentage of
> tasks Python seems fast enough as it is. Like everything it would be nice
if
> it was quicker :) but will this constrain the growth of Python????

Well. The first one is talking about about the "byte code optimize". Speed
is just one issue. "Obfuscator" is another kind of "optimizer". :) Some one
do concern about this. Look at the research work for Java and .Net.

Yes, Python is fast enough for most of the tasks. For interface face, 0.01
ms has no advantagement than 0.7 ms. But for scientific computing, it
sometimes means a big difference. 70 hours vs 1 hour? :) The key is not
"absolutly fast". It is "fast enough for specific tasks". Because scientific
computing seems a strong area of python, I have this speed improvement
suggestion just to make python even stronger in this area. Just think about
reseach and applications for "online" image processing and pattern
recognition. Speed is always an important issue.

> An IDE (like for example BOA, PythonCard etc) can be developed externally
> the Python Core Language.
Totally agree. I made bad format for my post. Utility is not part of the
core.

> My guess is enough people would be around to keep bug fixes going and the
> real value of Python is now becoming all the external libraries???
Yes or no. Language has to provide "good ways" to help user extend the
lanuage and build external components.
i.e., if python doesn't provide "module" concept, we may have a hard time to
build all those libraries.
So keeping experienced designers and programmers for the core and some
important libraries is necessary. But this is just my thought.

Thanks.
--
Yan Weng
yweng at cs.uoregon.edu