does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Wed Jun 18 11:31:30 EDT 2003

Quoth John J. Lee:
  [...]
> I agree with this.  I don't know what all the fuss is about with the
> interactive prompt.  I certainly do use it, quite frequently, but
> don't see a huge difference here between Python and statically-typed
> compiled languages (especially given a good IDE -- like unix + emacs
> etc.).
>
> Maybe only me and David make lots of mistakes at the interactive
> prompt ;-)

I'm a big fan of the interactive prompt, but certainly not for
coding -- I too make too many mistakes for that to be practical,
and I prefer my text editor anyway.  But I find it greatly eases
debugging and one-off data munging tasks.

Steven Taschuk                            staschuk at telusplanet.net
Every public frenzy produces legislation purporting to address it.
                                                  (Kinsley's Law)