License Question

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Sun Jun 22 23:22:24 EDT 2003

On 22 Jun 2003 20:40:27 +0100, John J. Lee wrote:
> Ben Finney <bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au> writes:
>> No, you only have to include "[...] the changes made to Python
>> 2.2.3." If you're including the whole thing, but not actually making
>> changes to it, then your "brief summary of the changes" is zero
>> length.
>
> py2exe and Installer *don't* include the whole of Python.

I've never used them; hopefully someone more qualified can give more
explanation.

> So, does that mean that all py2exe and Installer apps must include a
> note indicating that a) this isn't the whole of Python 2.x.y and b)
> the files taken from the Python distribution have been merged into a
> few files for distribution?

I(ANAL) would read that clause to say so, yes.  I also believe you'll
need to include the Python license with any distribution of Python.

> If so, do people actually do that ATM?

No idea.  I work in environments where executables are simply marked as
such, and where software installs to standard places in the path.

--
 \         "Truth would quickly cease to become stranger than fiction, |
  `\                  once we got as used to it."  -- Henry L. Mencken |