LANGUAGE QUESTION???

Maxime Delanis maxdelanis at magic.fr
Wed Jun 4 12:56:01 EDT 2003

PupppyWizzard at glay.org (Pupppy Wizzard) wrote in message news:<8dcf2300.0306040159.118c24e8 at posting.google.com>...
> Hi. I am an old school programmer looking to modernize my skill set. I
> want to focus on one new language. Should I choose:
>
> VB
> VB.net
> C#
> C++
> Python
> Smalltalk
> J#
> JScript.net
> or Java?

Maybe you should have more a paradigm oriented approach rather than a
language oriented approach...?
for object orientation: Eiffel is a must, Java, Smalltalk are of
interest too..
 I can't tell about C#
for script languages: Python (I suppose, though I don't know it
myself)
for Generic programming: ADA (though Eiffel and C++ use it, too)
for functional programming: Haskell seems a very good language on that
regards
for multi-paradigm language: C++ (it may be a little bit confusing to
start with that one...)

Now if you want to make a living with the new language you want to
learn,
it looks like Java and C++ are dominant on the market....

IMHO, the best language I know of, is Eiffel, when it comes to
powerfulness, simplicity, and a strong methodological approach. It is
most useful to know it, even if you end up coding in something else,
it being Assembler, C or C++ (most likely, to earn a living :-)

regards
Maxime