does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

Moshe Zadka m at
Tue Jun 17 11:09:18 CEST 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Alex Martelli <aleax at> wrote:

> Good thing your job isn't accounting

> -- if you tried putting, on a
> company's balance sheet, the source code it owns under "liabilities",
> rather than under "assets", you'd be in for malpractice lawsuits to
> dwarf Enron's (tax authorities might be particularly likely to take
> a dim view in the matter).

And *that's* the reason it's a good thing my job isn't accounting?
[What do you think those "salaries for people who maintain the source" and
"various developing environments" expenses *are*, if not the translation
to accounting-lingo? How come we weren't sued for malpractice when my
bosses authorized me to delete heaping gobs of code? Just because
translating from sane-speak to accountant-lingo is non-trivial does
not mean source code is not a liability]
Moshe Zadka --
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.
Riley: Yeah, a lot of young people nowadays are experimenting with shortness.
Agile Programming Language --