Socket Problem on True64 Alpha

Rolf Wester wester at ilt.fhg.de
Fri Jun 6 12:03:45 EDT 2003

Hi,

I just tried the socket server examples that are in the Python docs on a
Tru64 Alpha machine. My Python version is 2.2.1. Unfortunately these
examples don't work. This:

import socket
HOST = ''                 # Symbolic name meaning the local host
PORT = 50007              # Arbitrary non-privileged port
s.bind((HOST, PORT))

gives the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "server.py", line 7, in ?
     s.bind((HOST, PORT))
socket.gaierror: (9, 'The service passed was not recognized for the
specified socket type.')

and this:

import socket
import sys

HOST = ''                 # Symbolic name meaning the local host
PORT = 50007              # Arbitrary non-privileged port
s = None
for res in socket.getaddrinfo(HOST, PORT, socket.AF_UNSPEC,
                              socket.SOCK_STREAM,
                              0,socket.AI_PASSIVE):

results in:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "socket2.py", line 8, in ?
     for res in socket.getaddrinfo(HOST, PORT, socket.AF_UNSPEC,
socket.SOCK_STREAM, 0, socket.AI_PASSIVE):
socket.gaierror: (8, 'Name does not resolv to supplied parameters;
neither nodename nor servname were passed.')

I don't have any idea what is wrong here. I would be very appreciative
for any help.

Thanks in advance

Rolf Wester