The beauty of Python

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Jun 18 11:56:16 EDT 2003

Dirk Gerrits <dirk at gerrits.homeip.net> writes:

> Thomas Weholt ( PRIVAT ) wrote:
> > Well, I was hoping for smaller examples, not too advanced things, more stuff
> > you'll find in any programming language, stuff python has solved in a
> > particulary elegant way.
>
> Well what I found particularly elegant when I was first introduced to
> Python was it's easy iteration over sequences with the for

Iterators now, of course.

[...]
> And of course I immediately loved its powerful, yet easy to use, data
> structures; especially the dictionary.

And sets!  The new set module is quite handy.  In fact, I've just
starting using 2.3, and there's a lot of stuff there that's really
nice for writing small programs (I don't see much utility in the word
'script').  logging, optparse, sets, along with the iterators and
generators from previous releases, key in dict...

John