simple, old-style graphic ?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at
Mon Jun 9 18:38:37 CEST 2003

For 2D graphics, you might try PyGame, which is normally used for 2D (it
can support an OpenGL context as well, if you want to go that way
eventually).  It's fairly robust, has lots of sample code, and a
supportive community mailing list.  It's also got lots of support for
bitmap operations (including blended alpha IIRC), multimedia (sounds,
movies) and the like.  You can even, IIRC, find an
educationally-focussed module... "pygsear" (sp?) for it with a little

For starting off into 3D graphics, I'd suggest picking up one of the
scenegraph (also refered to as "retained mode") engines rather than
working directly in OpenGL (unless your goal is "learn OpenGL so I can
eventually write my own engine (or modify someone else's)", it's not a
good way to start doing graphics).  I like OpenGL (god help me), but
it's not a beginner-friendly programming system.

sismex01 at wrote:

> [...]

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder