Choosing the right database-system for a small project

Thomas Weholt 2002 at weholt.org
Tue Jun 24 17:16:11 EDT 2003

Ok, I'm going to do some more testing on both MetaKit and SQLite, but I'd
like to know of any trouble I might run into with concurrent writes or reads
to the database. This will be used on a webserver, not with heavy load, but
to be sure it would be nice to have at least some simple locking mechanism.

Any tips?

Thanks so far.

Thomas

"Thomas Weholt ( PRIVAT )" <2002 at weholt.org> wrote in message
news:uAUJa.1825$os2.25697 at news2.e.nsc.no...
> I've got a rather small project, small in the sense that there's not a lot
> of different tables needed in the database/storage-system, but there will
be
> alot of data and the clients must be able to scan thru huge amounts of
data
> very fast ( Not serial scanning, but lookups by key, preferrably several
> keys pr record, ie. I need to lookup people both by SSN and by
> first/last-name etc. )
>
> So far I've used MySQL, mainly because I need something that installs
easily
> on both Linux and Windows. But I don't need a big user-management system,
> need something light, a bit more flexible than shelve, and as I said
earlier
> I need to lookup data by several key-fields.
>
> I've also looked at MetaKit and this seems like just my kind of thing.
Easy