Python 2.2.2 win32 build

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Thu Jun 19 02:46:50 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:55:09 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:
> Why would you want to [build Python yourself from source]?  There is
> already a standard distribution.  Why make a non-standard
> distribution?  I'm just as comfortable knowing that I can count on *A*
> Python distribution being *THE* Python distribution.

I don't know the OP's reasons for building from source, but since you
ask "why", I can give a pretty strong one:  Because you want a Python
built with options different from the default build.  Perhaps you want
to enable experimental features, or you want to disable a whole bunch of
things that won't be used on the target machine, or you want to test out
a new extension yourself.

Does that give a better idea of why one might want to do it?

--
 \      "It is forbidden to steal hotel towels.  Please if you are not |
  `\        person to do such is please not to read notice."  -- Hotel |