Revised PEP 318 - Function/Method Decorator Syntax

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Jun 10 17:59:01 EDT 2003

Chris Liechti wrote:

> what's with the [] syntax discussed here a week ago?
> it was something like:
>
>   def foo(self) [synchronized(lock), classmethod]:

To me it says, "Hi, I'm a list!" when listness does not seem warranted.
Yes, we're talking about a sequence of properties, but the square
brackets just look wrong there to me.

> or merging with yours:
>
>   def foo(self) as [synchronized(lock), classmethod]:

Doubling up the syntaxes seems unnecessary.

> i think the use of [] is quite logic. it's a _list_ of function
> decorators.
> and it helps readability, at least the variants should be listed as
> alternatives in the PEP.

It's a sequence.  And, if you want to get technical, it's more likely to
be handled as a tuple internally, anyway.

/  \ I'm spreading my wings and I fly / I'm still as the night
\__/  Chante Moore