Easiest Python Web board?

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Fri Jun 20 03:24:10 EDT 2003

For my book site (http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/), I used a Perl script that my
host happened to have installed to let readers contribute suggestions,
post errata, etc.  (Matt Wright's WWWBoard).

However, now that the book is out, I think I can clear out the earlier
comments (I'll save them somewhere, but they are less relevant).  And
this also seems like a good time to move to a Python solution (it -is-
after all attached to a book about Python).

My main goal here is that I want to think about administering the
discussion board AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.  I don't really care about
elaborate configurability, or multiple forums, or complex sorting on
criteria.  Just something where viewers can post simple comments, and
see what other wrote....  Oh, and something where it is really easy to
remove the posts from spammers who occassionally find the board and post
weird ads (I always seem to mess up the formatting when I delete them
from the HTML file in vim; but partially because of the slightly
cluttered HTML format used [lots of comments indicating where insertions
go]).

I know I could write something that showed off fabulous Python
programming principles.  But I don't want to do that now...  I'd like my
whole effort to consist of:

    % wget ftp://some.path.to/fooboard.tgz
    % tar xvfz fooboard.tgz
    % python2.3 setup.py install

Beyond that, I have to start thinking... yeack!  It does, however, have
to be able to work with plain CGI, no custom Twisted or Zope server, nor
even fast_cgi (actually, that might be on the host, but I haven't looked
into it)..

--
mertz@  | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net!  All the
gnosis  | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy