XML

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Sun Jun 22 00:16:59 EDT 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:03:43 -0400, Markus Wankus wrote:
> LOL.  I think the point was - your .html files are 7-bit ASCII plain
> text....

They are (often) encoded in 7-bit ASCII, but not always (frequently they
are 8-bit iso8859-1, or utf-8, or other more-than-7-bit encodings).

However, regardless of character encoding, HTML documents aren't "plain
text" because they're marked up.  The actual data the format holds is
wrapped up in document formatting (HTML markup), not left "plain".

    <http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/f/flat-ASCII.html>

--
 \     "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"  -- |
  `\     Vroomfondel, _The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy_, Douglas |