idle on linux

Dave Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 13:13:20 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 09:06, Haris Bogdanovic wrote:
> > Did you have Tk/Tcl installed when you built python?  While Tkinter is
> > included, it can't (and silently won't) build if Tk isn't installed for it
> > link up with...
> >
> > - -Zac
>
> Yes, I have Tcl/Tk on my RedHat so that isn't the problem.

If you're using the RH provided python packages, you also need the
tkinter package -- it's a separate package in RHL, as it has
dependencies that python doesn't (like XFree86, tcl/tk, etc.).

Some explanation:
 Python is always on an RHL box IIRC, but tkinter being a part of python
would require all RHL boxen to be X workstations, which is, um, not
sane.

Dave