Some pythonic advice needed

Rudy Schockaert rudy.schockaert at pandora.be
Sun Jun 1 10:56:15 EDT 2003

Andrei wrote:
> Have you considered putting more than one answer in the dictionary entry
> of the latin word? You could use a list of translations for it rather
> than a single answer string, something like this:
>
> mydict = {"latinword": ["dutch1", "dutch2"]}
>
> combined with:
>
> if answer in mydict["latinword"]: ....
>
> I don't know if you need reverse translation too, that would be a bit
> harder but you could build a reverse dictionary from the latin-dutch
> one without any database which seems overkill unless you have huge
> amounts of words.

It is the reverse translation that makes it difficult for me. The list
below hopefully makes my problem a bit clearer. Words should be
presented in Dutch as well as in Latin. Not all words are entered at the
same time too. It is as she learns new words that I add them.
New words that are already in the db with another meaning would have a
much higher score because she already practised them. The newly added
words would be asked first, just until their score gets as high as the
others. From that point on she would be presented older words too.

Latin	Dutch
iste	dat
iste	die
ille	dat
ille	die
qui	dat
qui	die
is	dat
is	die
vere	waar
ubi	waar
ubi	wanneer

Sorry if I can't explain my problem very clear.

I guess I'm looking for a class with the following functions:

- getQuestion(Language) which would return a tuple (questionID,
question, answer, [alternatives]). Alternatives would be a list of
(answer, ID) pairs. This would allow me to update the score of an
alternative too if she would enter that instead of the expected answer.

- updateQuestion(questionID, Score)
This would update the score of an word-pair, pushing it further back in
the list of questions.