Tk vs wxPython ?

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Thu Jun 5 01:41:27 EDT 2003

"Aurélien Géron" <ageron at HOHOHOHOvideotron.ca> wrote:

> > > ** Why isn't Python shipped with wxPython instead of Tk ? **
> >
> > Although I pretty much agree with everything you said in your post,
> > I just want to make two small points:
> >
> > 1. Tkinter is pretty much considered standard, so removing it would
> > be a bit of problem for many people.
> >
> > 2. wxPython is a *really* easy download and install, so there's relatively
> > little advantage in making it a standard part of the distribution.  It's
> > also not really small, so bloating the standard distribution still further
> > to include it (assuming Tkinter is not actually removed first) would be
> > bad.
> >
> > -Peter
>

> Very good points.
>
> Though... one could argue that Tkinter would also be easy to download and
> install and that way people would be given the choice.  :-)
>
> I guess a good compromise would be to leave Tkinter in place, but to make it
> clear in the documentation that for any serious GUI development, wxPython
> would be the way to go (along with a link to download it of course).

What you seem to miss is the number of viable toolkits for GUI
development. Contrary to your impression, it is not obvious that
wxPython is the way to go. IMHO, wxPython scores worse than both pygtk
and pyqt. I doubt that any real consensus about the *one* toolkit will
emerge any time soon.

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at