reinventing the web server

Simon Wittber (Maptek) Simon.Wittber at perth.maptek.com.au
Tue Jun 17 21:14:05 EDT 2003

Hello Python People.

I am very interested in using Python as a web development tool. I have
investigated mod_python. It was rather difficult to setup, and seemed
rather clunky.

I then checked out twisted web, which seemed to work quite well. However
the rpy files left me cold. All I want is access to the session, form
and querystrings and some server variables. I don't want all the twisted
Resource() weirdness. Also, twisted seems to be a bit of a resource hog.
A simple request was chewing up 10% of my poor Indy's CPU :(

Is it worthwhile reinventing my own Python web server, the way I want
it? Or is it a waste of time... and should I be sticking to existing
technologies?

Sw.