Glue code

Francois Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Jun 13 08:38:51 EDT 2003

[Sami Hangaslammi]

> Pyrex (http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/) is so far
> the easiest and most pleasant way I've found to extend Python with a
> bit of C.

Quite agreed, except for the `bit of' :-).  Pyrex is so far the easiest
and most pleasant way I've found to extend Python with possibly a lot of C.

However, and I see this as yet another advantage while some people see
it as an inconvenient, C is _not_ automatically made available to Python
as C was designed.  You have to wrap the API explicitely using the Pyrex
language.  (Pyrex, by the way, is very similar to Python, and comfortable.)

This is the ideal place and time for building the right Python flavour into
your API.  It might look like extra work, and in a sense, it surely is.
In any case, if you want something nice and clean, you ought to do that API
beautifying work somehow, somewhere.  Pyrex happens to be the right tool.