ANN: Confluence -> Python for Hardware Verification

Christopher Saunter christopher.saunter at durham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 09:28:17 EDT 2003

Tom Hawkins (tom1 at launchbird.com) wrote:
: christopher.saunter at durham.ac.uk (Christopher Saunter) wrote in message news:<bbi8rq$glp$1 at sirius.dur.ac.uk>...
: > Tom Hawkins (tom1 at launchbird.com) wrote:

: > : Over the weekend we released Confluence 0.4.6: the first
: > : version to included the new Python model generator.
: >
: > Neato.  I have found Python to be very well suited to removing some of the
: > pain of HDLs ;-)  - can you say how long the free trial licences of
: > Confluence are likely to last for?
: >

: Confluence actually originated from a Python based HDL called
: ParaCore (http://www.dilloneng.com/paracore.html).

I use a rather simpler (read naffer ;-) Python based simulater for
synchronous logic I wrote to help design some dspish projects.  One thing
I use is a GUI front end, primarily for visualising dataflow through a
desgin - I find visual feedback drastically simplifies aligning data
pipelines and control flow etc.  From a brief look at the Confluence docs
on the Python model, it should not be to involved to produce a GUI
front end for it.  Is this something Launchbird plan, or is there
scope / interest for a GUI front end for visualisation of the Python
models?  Of the various suported languages, I expect Python would be the
best suited to such a task.

Also, from reading the docs, maybee it's time I revived my side project of
investigating Haskell...

: The first Confluence seat is free, indefinite, and
: enables the full compiler -- no size or performance restrictions.
: Our revenue comes from the medium to larger design firms.

Nice one.  I hope that aproach proves fruitfull - it is certianly
appreciated at my end of the world.

Cheers,
	Chris Saunter