Possible bug in setting Windows file permissions? (os.chmod() not working properly?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jun 16 22:14:58 EDT 2003

Gus Tabares wrote:

> Peter,
>         os.chmod(file, 666) seems to work quite proficiently. It might
> be possible that it is converted (as that is easy to do).

Possible, but unlikely, I think.  Note that o666 and d666 share
the bits 10010010, which quite possibly includes the bits necessary
to cause Windows to make a file read-write...

Are you really willing to throw parameters at a low-level OS function
which "seem" to work, or would you rather avoid, say, accidentally
clearing the archive bit, or accidentally setting the HIDDEN bit? ;-)

-Peter