filedescriptor out of range in select()

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Thu Jun 26 04:30:58 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:45:19AM +0200, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> Spambayes CVS, Python 2.2.3, FreeBSD 5.1
>
> On my machine I'm lunching the pop3proxy with cron at startup, and all
> is fine.
>
> But... sometimes during startup, or after a one or two days, the process
> exits with the following error...
>
> Is a BSD select related problem? Is an asyncore problem? Is a spambayes
> problem?

I'm not very familiar with BSD, asyncore or spambayes, but I think
"filedescriptor out of range in select()" usually means that the process is
trying to handle too many connections at once -- maybe the sockets aren't
getting closed, or something.

You might like to check the output of netstat when it happens, too see if
there's an outrageously large number of connections to your pop3proxy.  I'm
just guessing, though.

-Andrew.