Possible project - Python mail proxy to do greylisting, etc.

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Jun 27 12:42:40 EDT 2003

Hi Evan,

> I'm toying with the idea of learning Twisted by writing a simple SMTP
> proxy that only deals with early connection events, before DATA.  It
> would be an MTA-independent way to do greylisting, tarpitting, smarter
> HELO analysis, things like that.
>
> Does anyone know of an existing project like this *in Python*?  (I know
> about GNU SAUCE).

Spambayes (a Python Bayesian spam filter, see www.spambayes.org) has a
Python SMTP proxy - you can train it by sending email messages to special
addresses.  Training messages are not forwarded to the real SMTP server,
while non-training messages are passed straight though.  It runs on top of
the Python asyncore/asynchat libraries rather than Twisted, but at the
lowest level <flamebait level='outrageous'>async and Twisted are basically
the same thing</flamebait>.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com