does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

Tim Rowe tim at
Tue Jun 17 19:06:55 CEST 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:56:14 GMT, Alex Martelli <aleax at>

>I guess that's the crux of the matter -- and this "research you've
>seen" appears to give results that directly contradict the everyday
>experience reported by the growing band of users of dynamically
>typed languages.

[fx: looks at unstable four-foot pile of unsorted technical papers]
Er, there will be a short delay at this point! (Though if it prompts
me to sort that pile out at last then something good will have come of

Don't forget that I'm here because I /like/ Python, by the way -- I
just don't think it's right for /everything/.  I don't think /any/
language /can/ be!