XML

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Mon Jun 23 04:44:16 EDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Alan Kennedy wrote:

> Alan Kennedy wrote:
>
> >> Semantics vs. format: The OP was concerned with finding good use cases
> >> for XML, where it is a natural fit for the problem at hand. He seemed
> >> to be dissatisfied with XML both as a format, and as a method for
> >> building semantic object models.
>
> Roman Suzi wrote:
>
> > Well formulated, Alan! This is exactly what I tried to tell.
>
> OK, so we've figured out what you don't like about XML.
>
> Now all we have to figure out is why you don't like it ;-)

Reasons are subjective. To put them short, XML is too hairy for
the model it serves. Too many entities ;-) This causes the format
to be more complicated than it is, making parsers harder than
S-expressions ones, for example. Attributes vs. subnodes debate also
shows there are duplicating things in the format. DTD is also a monster.

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd at onego.ru -