Replace for Goto

Gerrit Holl gerrit at
Sun Jun 1 23:12:36 CEST 2003

Dvm5 schreef op donderdag 29 mei om 02:52:06 +0000:
> I'm used to Basic. There is a Goto/Label command, you put goto where
> you want it to come from and label where you want it to go. Simple.
> How can I do this in Python?
> What I'm trying to do is create a "play again" type user interface.
> Thus, I can't alter the program to use an If command; the option has
> to be at the end, and the effect has to be at the begining! How do I
> accomplish this?
> If there is another way, other than a similar thing to Goto, tell me
> that, as well as a similar thing for goto. It would probably be useful
> later on...

Dear Dvm5,

congratulations on getting into contact with Python!

Python is a very, very different language than Basic. Most - if not
all - Python programmers consider Basic a bad language and consider
"goto-style-programming" a bad style. What you need is either loops
or functions, or both.

Many Python programs look like this in pseudocode:

def foo(...): something...

def bar(...): something...

def main():
    ...get user input...
    ...either using raw_input() builtin function...
    ...or from a configuration file...
    ...or from the commandline...
    ...or using CGI...

if __name__ == '__main__':

What you can do, is create one or more functions for your game and
get the input in the main function. To get a loop, you can do
something like:

while raw_input("Play another game? ")[0] in "yY":

This way, the play_game() function is repeated as long as the user
enters yes for the question: as soon as it doesn't, the code after
this block is executed.

If this all sounds very revolutionizing for you, I'd strongly recommand
reading a book on Python for beginners. The Python website lists a lot
of books; I don't know which ones are good myself, but discussions on
this subject can be found in the archives for this newsgroup.

I hope I have been able to help your further!

103. If, while on the journey, an enemy take away from him anything
that he had, the broker shall swear by God and be free of obligation.
        -- Hammurabi, Code of Law