Using Python as a tool for testing homogeneous systems

Andy Jewell andy at wild-flower.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 16:51:28 EDT 2003

On Friday 27 Jun 2003 8:37 pm, Roy Smith wrote:
> >> Python is *too* damned good: and they haven't made me stop using
> >> it at work, either; in fact I've just spent a few weeks doing some
> >> really intensive Python development... to test RPG code!
>
> I don't see anything strange about that.  I used to work on a system
> that included a lot of TCL and SQL.  I wrote a lot of QA tools for that
> stuff in Python.

Not strange, per se, Roy, just strange for my company, which has a
track-history of skimping on such things as testing.

More importantly, I feel this is a mile-stone, marking the beginning of proper
formalised testing methods.

For the record, I always knew Python was good at such things (at least since I
started using it anyway).  Many, many postings here in c.l.py have proven
this as time has gone by.

I wasn't trying to claim a 'first', nore even to be breaking new ground.  I
just wanted to congratulate the collective on a small, but to me, significant
success.

-andyj