Displaying IPA characters in Tkinter

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 17 03:36:12 EDT 2003

Mickel Grönroos <mickel at csc.fi> writes:

> 1. How do I display IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) characters in
> Tkinter (labels, canvas text objects)?

l=Tkinter.Label(text=u"\N{LATIN SMALL LETTER TURNED A}\u0283")

works fine for me.

> (I need to do this on Unix/Linux and Windows 2000/XP and was hoping
> that I would not need to install any new fonts.)

Whether you have to install new fonts depends on what fonts you have
already installed. In general, Tk is very smart in finding a font that
supports a certain character, even if that means it has to switch
fonts from a character-to-character basis.

> 2. How do I make my Tkinter application accept IPA characters as input in
> entry fields?

How do you enter IPA characters in any other application? I usually
would enter them through cut-and-paste from charmap.exe on Windows,
which works fine with Tk as well.

Regards,
Martin