XML

Bill Sneddon bsneddon at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 14:48:31 EDT 2003

I think Nicholas Wiedland made a good case for the techonolgy.

I am currently most excited about XSL and the ability to separte
content from presenttaion.  HTML is about presenting the data it
does not tell you about the data or give hints on how to process.
This is why web searches currently turn up a lot of irrelavent hits.
As XML comes into play on the web searches and bots will be much more
useful.

I had an application at work to convert a flat text file to formatted
document.  Ultimately a MS Word document.  Using Python.

The first approach create a rich text format document import into word.
Very combersome and scrapped.

Second approach create a HTML document and import into word.  Worked but
was not very flexable to change formatting.

Third approach create XML document use XSL to convert it HTML.  It seems
counter intutive that this was a cleaner approach but IMHO it was.

Check out XSL(T) if you have a need to display data in HTML XHTML.
Pyana a sourceForge project works well for the transforms.  Newer
versions of Explorer or Mozilla will do the transforms without code.

Bill