Tk vs wxPython ?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 4 13:58:25 EDT 2003

"Aurélien Géron" wrote:

> > > ** Why isn't Python shipped with wxPython instead of Tk ? **
> >
> > Although I pretty much agree with everything you said in your post,
> > I just want to make two small points:
> >
> > 1. Tkinter is pretty much considered standard, so removing it would
> > be a bit of problem for many people.
> >
> > 2. wxPython is a *really* easy download and install, so there's relatively
> > little advantage in making it a standard part of the distribution.  It's
> > also not really small, so bloating the standard distribution still further
> > to include it (assuming Tkinter is not actually removed first) would be
> > bad.
> >
> > -Peter
>
> Very good points.
>
> Though... one could argue that Tkinter would also be easy to download and
> install and that way people would be given the choice.  :-)

People already have the choice... of which to use.  There's nothing
forcing one to use Tkinter and, in fact, I basically don't use it.
On the other hand, I'm also unconcerned about its presence on my hard
drive.

> I guess a good compromise would be to leave Tkinter in place, but to make it
> clear in the documentation that for any serious GUI development, wxPython
> would be the way to go (along with a link to download it of course).

Good point.  I just tried searching for any reference to GUI stuff on the
www.python.org site and was unable to find *anything* which either recommended
a toolkit or referenced GUI development at all, for beginners or others.

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/GuiProgramming is not at all hard
to find from the main page, but it doesn't make any recommendations at all.

> Actually, maybe the link is already there, but I certainly did not notice
> it.

I don't think it is, although I doubt it's hard to find pages expressing
the opinion that wxPython is much more suitable than Tkinter for serious
GUI work, as you've probably found.

-Peter